Friday 8 October 2010

Sepia Toned Male Birthday Card

I've had one of those weeks that once an idea gets into my head it won't go away, so when I saw this image I knew immediately that I had to use it for a card for my Uncle and had a picture in my mind of how it was going to be. After much huffing and puffing and a lot of help from the lovely Janette aka The Stampin' Dragon, I finally got the image line colours changed to sepia. I really should've taken this as an omen and quit my "big idea" at this stage, but you know me, I like a challenge and so carried on!

I'd decided that I was going to water colour the image using distress inks, but hadn't factored in that in moment of tightness I'd bought Tesco own ink carts for my printer..... BIG MISTAKE, the ink isn't waterproof unlike my beloved Epson ink! I was determined that I'd succeed even with "bleeding" ink (infact bleeding is a total understatement - I think I could've painted the image just using water and the ever spreading printer ink) . Nine attempts later (with one almost perfect image which messed up on the final section) I admitted defeat and decided to switch to my trusty Promarkers. I still used watercolour paper and think it's given quite a neat finish.

Anyway this is it - I just really hope he likes it now!!


Tools
Tim Holtz Blender
Tim Holtz Distressing Tool

Materials
Image - Dragons Lair Designs
Sentiment - freebie from here
Watercolour Paper
Brown Card - The Papermill
DP's - from stash
Distress Inks - Tea Dye, Walnut Stain
Promarkers - Ivory, Sandstone, Caramel, Cinnamon, Fineliner Black
Card Candy and Cardbase - Craftwork Cards

I'd like to enter this into the following challenges:
Creative Inspirations - Birthdays
Fab 'n' Funky - Use a digi
Party Time Tuesdays - Birthdays
If The Shoe Fits - Distress

23 comments:

  1. It looks GORGEOUS!! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Printers can be very frustrating! Mine refused to accept my 7x5 photo paper today - in the end I resorted to reading the manual! lol. Great masculine card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, youve found a way to change the digi image to a different colour?! Oh I am fascinated, one day Id like to pick your brains on that one!

    Meanwhile, what a super card for a fella, I couldnt help but feel sorry that all of those previous attempts with the water paints :(

    Keryn x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that, it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out well. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well this is very impressive, love the idea though wouldnt know where to start. hugs chris xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this is lovely, thanks for joining us at creative inspirations xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can he not like it? All your hard work has been worthwhile, it's a gorgeous card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for all the trouble but the end results are worth it. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow lovely card,definently came good in the end!! Thanks for joining us this week at Fab n Funky....Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Claire your card is amazing. All of that effort you went to as well darl. Mind you having met you i figure you are a big stubborn head!!!. Big hugs Clare xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your card was well worth the extra efforts, it's wonderful!! You rocked a masculine card, not an easy task. Thanks for playing along with my Party Time Tuesdays challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful card! Thanks for joining us at Party Time Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful work hun! Thanks for joining in this week at Creative Inspirations Wednesday Challenge Blog! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is fab, he will love it! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what a fab card, the sepia looks great and such a great idea too. Thanks for joining us this week at Fab 'n' Funky...hugs Shelly x

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW Claire i say it was worth all the messing to get the stamp sepia lol and the finished result is fantasic

    Hugs J
    Stampin Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful birthday card. I'm so glad you entered it into our challenge at Creative Inspirations. Thank you! I hope you'll join us again on Wednesday for our next challenge.
    Hugz,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. holy cow, 9 attempts! that is dedication! the final product is beautiful though, hope he likes it after all your hard work! Thanks for joining us at If the Shoe fits...SCRAP IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another fantastic card Claire. The sepia tones look fab on the card and the image also looks great with sepia outlines.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...