Tuesday, 20 July 2010

Playing with the Birdcage!

A couple of weeks ago I treated myself to the new Sizzix Tim Holtz Birdcage Die. This was I'm afraid to say a whimsical purchase, no thought or consideration went into how much use I'd get from it. Anyway, to cut things short, I decided that today was the day to bring it out to play!! What do you think??


Personally I'm in love with this die and can see it being used heaps of time.

The cage was cut out of a metallic effect paper which I've then covered with gold embossing powder. Prior to heating the powder, I've rubbed some of the powder off using my finger. This has given the metal cage an aged distressed look. I've then lightly rubbed it over with distress ink. The bird has been given dimension by running an embossing tool around the edge. I've used micro pearls, beaded charms and flowers edged with distress inks to decorate the cage. The nail heads have been punched from the same paper as the cage. The edges of the papers have been distressed and inked.

Tools
Sizzix Bigshot
Sizzix Tim Holtz Birdcage Die
Spellbinder Nestabilities - Labels 8
Tim Holtz Blender
Tim Holtz Distressing Tool
Hole Punch

Materials
Metallic Paper - The Papermill
DP's - K&Co
Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Walnut Stain, Tea Dye
Flowers - The Works
Charms - Old Necklace
Lace from stash

I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges:
Crafty Angels - Shabby Chic
Wild Orchid - Say it with Flowers
Alphabet Challenge - Lace
The Pink Elephant - Brown

21 comments:

  1. This looks great love the distress look

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great card. It looks very authentic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW thats fantastic ,must try out some distressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think its brilliant, I love the clever trick with the embossing powder it makes it look more realistic. Birds and cages are very fashionable just now so I'm sure you will get plenty of use out of your new die. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this card is stunning! the embossing powder effect is great, makes the cage look rusty ;) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow Claire, this is fabulous, I'd hang this on my wall, it's stunning xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous work. I love all things Tim Holtz!!

    Thanks for joining us on Crafty Angels this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow what a fantastic, gorgeous card!xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gorgeous - I love the birdcage, I've been looking for a stamp like this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How clever! It looks brilliant Claire, I think your 'whimsical' purchase will get lots of use. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. well done, looks brilliant with the flowers added to it

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fab creation love how you have used the flowers thanks for joining us at WOC this time
    Hugs Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow a wonderful card.

    Inken
    (Alphabet Challenge)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love the birdcage trend at the moment, great card x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think its made me want to buy that bird cage, so love what you have doene with it.
    hugs chris xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card! I have yet to try my die out and I bought it ages ago! Thanks for taking part in the Alphabet Challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very lovely card.
    Thank you for joining the alphabet challenge

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your shabby chic card is sooo pretty! I love the beautiful vintage feel to it, that die is absolutely adorable. Thank you so much for playing along with us at TPE this week!
    ~*Joni TPE DT

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I so want this die :D Gorgeous card xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. You really have the distressed inks down to a fine art. Another fantastic card. I really love the little flowers. Jaqui x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...